Lag b'Omer in Jericho
On the 33 day of the counting of the Omer (Lag b'Omer)
we celebrate the heroism of Rav Shimon Bar Yohai, who prefered to say
the truth about the Roman occupiers, and had to hide for 12 years in a
cave. There G-d revealed to him the inner secrets of the Torah.
the 33 day of the counting of the Omer (Sunday 28th April), we will be
touring the ancient Shalom al Israel and Naaran synagogues in Jericho.
- ***NEW TIME***The tour will be between 9:00 AM and 12:00 – You must be there at 8:45 AM!
- Meeting point: Moshav Naama at the bus stop on Highway 90; from there a bulletproof bus under IDF escort will take us to Jericho. See the map.
- If you are coming from Jerusalem by bus, you can board the 8:10 Egged 961 bus (Jerusalem - Beit Shean via the Jordan Valley). See the Egged timetable to catch the bus in time. Alight at the Moshav Naama stop.
- Cost: 50 sh per person.
- Details and registration for all these events: Erna, 052-8699300, Yoni 052-3527313.
Come to study in the Yeshiva in Jericho
Thank G-d, since the events of Sept 2000, when the Yeshiva in Jericho was burnt by the Arabs and ceased to function, we have started studying at the Yeshiva again.
A group of students from the Maale Efraim Yeshiva, with others
joining-in from Mitzpe Yericho and Maale Adumim study in Shalom al
Israel every Sunday between 9:15 and 12:30 in the morning.
* Next study on Sunday 21st April 2013.
- Info & registration: Erna: 052-8699300; Yoni: 052-3527313.
- You can get to Moshav Naama by public transport from Jerusalem: EGGED bus 961 (Jerusalem - Beit Shean) at 8:10 from the Central Bus Station.
- You can come to Naama by car; be there at 9:00. Naama is 10 km north of the Beit HaArava junction; see the map.
Regular Torah Talks in Beit Hogla
Hagi Ben Artzi’s talk in Beit Hogla (in Hebrew)
- After Independence Day (the exact date is not yet known), we will continue studying the Book of Judges (Shoftim) with Rav Dr Hagi Ben Artzi.
Dr Hagi Ben Artzi's talk is on every .second Monday in Beit Hogla.For a
lift to Beit Hogla, phone Rene at
052-3294194, or take the 10 o’clock 961 bus from the Jerusalem Central Bus
station; alight at “Mul Nevo” army base, 2 km after the turn-off from highway 1 to
highway 90. You can hear previous lessons (in Hebrew) here.
Rav Rozilio's weekly lesson in Beit Hogla (in Hebrew)
As on every Monday night at 20:45 , Rav Rozilio gave a fascinating lesson in the Beit Hogla
synagogue. People came from near and far to attend.
You can hear recorded lessons (in Hebrew) here .
Beit Hogla is near the old Beit HaArava junction.
Highway 1 from Jerusalem to the Jordan Valley, then turn north on
Highway 90 and then travel 2km to the Mul Nevo army base.
Or take the 948 / 961 EGGED bus from Jerusalem’s central bus station, and
get off at Mul Nevo after the beit Arava junction.
Contact: Erna Covos, tel: 052-8699300, Yoni, tel: 052-3527313.
Visiting the holy city of Jericho
In-depth illustrated article about
Jericho, its significance and its history, as well as personal
impressions on a visit to the Shalom-al Israel synagogue during
Hannukah 2010. Also, a movie of the New Month prayer. Read
- Guided Tour of Jericho (in Hebrew)
Erna Kovos leads us into
Jericho from the city's north-west entrance until the Shalom al Israel
synagogue. The past and the present meet - the conquest of Joshua, the
now rampart-less remains of ancient Jericho, the ancient Hasmonean
cemetery, the fresh-water springs of Diuk and Elisha, and of course the
two ancient synagogues of Naaran and Shalom al Israel, where Jews have
returned to pray despite the present Arab occupation. In two parts, in
Volunteering in Beit Hogla
Beit Hogla always welcomes:
* Helping hands in agriculture - groups can come for a week at a time or for a few days at a time.
* Families or singles who want to make their home in this beautiful place.
* Are there people from Gush Katif who want to participate in the
development of the farm? Here, we also cultivate on the sand, here
also we experience the special blessing which Itzhak received in Grar
(which is after all Gush Katif).
Contact Erna 052-8699300.
Founding of the Jericho Study Centre
We have decided to found a Study Centre dedicated to Jericho.
Educational institutes, yeshivot and communities that want to enrich
their knowledge about Jericho, its history and its centrality to the
People of Israel, are invited to come and participate. Rabanim and
public figures are invited to come and lecture. This Study Centre was
founded in response to the great ignorance prevalent amongst most of
the public about the holy city of Jericho, and hence the general apathy
to this holy city. Want to know more? Phone Erna at.
A Great Hanukka Touring Jericho (Hanukka 2011)
G-d, the access to the city is now easier, and we brought three groups,
on three different days of Hanukka into the city, and we visited
28th Nissan, the Anniversary of the Conquest of Jericho by Joshua
Jericho was conquered by Joshua on the 28th of Nissan. The People of
Israel went round the walls of the city blowing ram's horns for 6 days;
on the 7th day the walls were absorbed into the ground.
Brit Mila in Shalom Al Israel
For the first time in years, a Brit Mila was performed in the ancient Shalom al Israel synagogue in Jericho.
See the Arutz 7 article
We greeted the month of Adar in Jericho with great joy
the 1st of Adar B 2011, two Yeshivot, the chairman of the Yesha Council and
people from all over Israel - altogether close to 100 people - prayed
in the ancient "Shalom al Israel" synagogue in Jericho. To
our shame, the Israeli army (which accompanies us inside Jericho)
coordinates with the PLO regime. The latter did not agree to let us in
at the agreed hour. Only when we got off the buses and started walking
to Jericho, did the Israeli army relent, and pressurised the PLO
regime to agree to our immediate entry. Because of the
large public, we had two Minianim, one in the Yeshiva on the 1st floor
and another in the synagogue below, around the ancient mosaic. There
was much singing and dancing.
Jews pray in Jericho and hope to return
Prayer in the ancient synagogue of Shalom al Israel on the 1st of Elul
5769. Filmed by Chaya and broadcast on Arutz7